Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Colours of the Rockies

On our way back from ABC 2010 in Red Deer, we spent several days in the Rockies.  They are so incredibly spectacular.
The mountains are made up of only a few colours (excluding the white of the snow, which isn't technically a colour).
The grey of the peaks.


The green of the alpine forests.


The  incredible turquoise of the rock flour filled streams and lakes.

The brilliant, audacious colours of the alpine flowers

and Rust; minerals contrasting the grey limestone of the mountains and very sad and shocking, the colour of the dead trees killed by the Mountain Pine Beetle.


We had such a wonderful few days and the weather was perfect.
I can hardly wait to go back! I'm dying to take a painting workshop here. And next time I'll have a better camera, although I didn't do too badly with my point & shoot!


3 comments:

  1. I had love to follow you in the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes they are spectacular, magnificent, and grand and probably a few other superlative words.
    Thanks for another glimpse at them. I can never get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures... being there must be breathtaking!!!

    ReplyDelete