Friday, August 26, 2011

Guest Books - The Recycled Bivalve

Every once in a while, I make these guest books for each room in a westcoast resort.  I've probably shown these before, but here is one from the latest batch.  Luckily I have found a local beach that has a great selection of shells.  It used to be a real problem in Port Alberni!  I even had to call a seafood restaurant one time!


It's always a challenge to drill the shells.  I do it under water - it disperses the heat and keeps the dust down.  Lots of shells have sharp edges - one time I let one go and it spun around with the drill bit and cut my finger.  I didn't like that.....  Needless to say, I have a new respect for bivalves.

Let me know if you ever write in one of these. You'll know it's mine because there is a label inside the back cover.

5 comments:

  1. pretty!
    I'm power tool deficient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful book. Maybe try to etch the shell. But don't ask me what etches calcium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous, I know what you mean by spinning shells. I've even bought necklaces and taken them apart to avoid the drilling thing. I've only used my shells on the spine of the book, I have this thing for spines. Great job, hope to get to one of those resorts that has these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful. I can't remember if or when I've ever drilled a hole in a shell. I'll leave that to you and just glue mine down...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tried it. I'll leave that to the pros.

    ReplyDelete